Often called the “Road Trip Capital of the U.S.A.”, Nevada’s scenic desert routes are filled with breathtaking views, memorable characters and unexpected encounters with wildlife. But if one of those sudden surprises is a famous Nevada cloudburst or summer monsoon, you’ll quickly learn that driving in the rain is a lot different than cruising desert highways on pleasant, sunny days.
How to Stay Safe While Driving in the Rain in the Desert
Use these tips when driving in the rain in Nevada’s desert areas and you’ll have a safe, fun trip:
- No matter what weather you’re driving in, make sure your vehicle is in good condition and prepared for desert driving.
- If you see a storm approaching, tune your radio to a local station for weather warnings or check your mobile device (if parked) for storm information.
- When the rain begins, make sure your vehicle’s headlights and windshield wipers are on, but make sure NOT to turn your fog lights on, as the added light and glare make it worse for oncoming drivers.
- Slow down to a cautious speed. Keep in mind that roadways are at their slickest for the first 10 or 15 minutes of a storm because surface oil buildup hasn’t yet run off.
- Fast moving vehicles and 18-wheelers are notorious for splashing water. Slow down and let them get far ahead of you before you increase your vehicle’s speed.
- If you stop and get out of your vehicle while it’s raining, be sure to dry off the bottom of your shoes before you start driving again. Wet shoes can often slide from pedals.
- Desert rainstorms often flood creek beds or dips in the road. If you see a puddle of water, don’t assume it’s shallow and don’t try to cross it with your vehicle. It only takes six inches of water to lose control and water at a depth of two feet to sweep your car downstream in a flood.
- If your vehicle stalls in deep water, climb out onto the roof and use your phone to dial 911.
- When the rain stops, pay close attention to the road’s traction. If you speed up too quickly while driving, your tires may hydroplane. Make sure you always accelerate and decelerate slowly.
Drive the Desert in Style
At Valley Automall, we want all your travels to be fun and safe. Are you in the market for a new or previously owned vehicle that has safety features for driving in the rain? Our dealer showrooms are now reopened and ready to have you test drive one of our 7,000 vehicles. You can also shop online from the comfort of your home! To learn more, contact us online or call us at 702-570-2257.